Lord Mahavir, was the 24th and the last Teerthankar (Prophet) of the Jain religion order. He was born around 2609 years ago. At the age of 30, he left his kingdom and became an ascetic. He did intense penance for 12 years and attained nirvana (Salvation/Enlightenment).
In those days, animal sacrifice was a common practice followed by Hindus under the Vedic rituals as oblation to God. As Lord Mahavir could not bear this onslaught of helpless creatures he started advocating NON-VIOLENCE. He preached that
- All creatures have equal rights to live
- All creatures bear the same pain when hurt, tortured or killed.
- All souls are alike without any distinction irrespective of whether
they are in animal body or in human body.
- No soul is superior or inferior.
- Every soul is omniscient and blissful.
- Every soul is independent and passes through different physical bodies
(animal, bird, human etc) during the course of its evolutionary journey
based on its karmas (deeds).
- Our behavior with others should be similar to the behavior we expect from others.
Lord Mahavira's simple and straight forward concept was �TO LIVE AND LET LIVE�. His vision was for complete harmony among all creatures in the world.
This concept of Live and Let Live is even more apt in the present time with dwindling human values. Let us all strive to live our lives based on this simple concept and spread happiness within and all around us and become MAHAVIR (the Emperor of Inner Virtues).
- Sri. Sadguru Rameshji Ji
THE JOY OF SEEING OTHERS JOY IS A BIGGER JOY THAN OUR OWN JOY